Life is for Participating
I came across a segment earlier regarding Katherine Switzer and enjoyed it so much - decided to share.
For those who have not heard of the woman in question, the year was 1967, she had entered the Boston Marathon, five years before it became official that her gender was allowed to partake.
After realizing that a woman was running, race organizer Jock Semple went after Switzer shouting, “Get the hell out of my race and give me those numbers” attempting to remove her. However, Switzer’s boyfriend Tom Miller sent him flying and with the aide of other male runners, provided her with a protective shield during the entire marathon.
Kathrine later went on to win the 1974 NYC marathon with a time of 3:07:29 and was inducted into the National Women’s Hall of Fame in 2011. Thumbs up girl.
Tagged as: katherine switzer. boston marathon. 1967. feminist.
- libbyhart reblogged this from onprobation
- slim-dream reblogged this from onprobation
- of-rain-and-sun likes this
- uwannapieceoflis likes this
- paintbrushbangs likes this
- aznguitarboi reblogged this from onprobation
- sleepinggardens reblogged this from onprobation
- nicolegerms likes this
- the-priestess likes this
- wawalde reblogged this from paisleygray
- paisleygray reblogged this from onprobation
- wecametoseetheocean reblogged this from onprobation
- onprobation posted this